07 January 2013

What I Made Yesterday

Yesterday was a pretty lazy day for me. Mostly, I sat on the couch under a blanket and watched Pretty Little Liars. Have you seen it? I just started it a couple nights ago during a bout of insomnia, and now I'm obsessed. But! Being home all day meant I had time to make and consume some good food.

For lunch, I made a chicken/avocado salad. I used half of a leftover chicken breast (they were huge), one avocado, a tablespoon of miracle whip, and the juice of half a lime. I chopped the chicken and avocado into fairly large chunks, and combined them with the miracle whip and lime juice. I added a bit of salt, to bring out the flavor of avocado, and crushed red pepper, because I like things spicy. I put some on top of a piece of whole wheat toast, and at the rest with a fork. Super simple, right?      



For dinner, I made black eyed peas. My mom always makes black eyed peas on the first of the year for good luck, but I wasn't there to partake in this tradition with my family this year. So, a week late, I made my own black eyed peas, following this recipe. I don't like cumin, so I omitted that, as well as the cinnamon. We didn't have any paprika, so I left that out as well. I added garlic powder, thyme, a bay leaf, and extra chili powder. It came out pretty good! My uncle even praised the dish, and he is not a fan of black eyed peas. I think it was the bacon that won him over. To accompany the peas, I made corn muffins, with a twist. I prepared the mix according to the package directions, but I added 1/4 cup of sharp shredded cheddar, and 1/4 cup chopped green chile. They came out amazing. I ate two.






No comments:

Post a Comment