07 August 2011

summer reading list

one of the most exciting things about graduating is having time to read what i want to read. during school i was so overwhelmed with reading material for class i simply had no time to read for pleasure. i did manage to get through a couple short story collections by reading one every night before bed.

for graduation, i was excited to receive a barnes and noble gift card and an amazon.com gift card that contributed greatly to my book collection. now that summer is almost over, i'm sad to say i haven't read as much as i anticipated i would. i have read a couple of really great books and still have a stack i'm working on. here is my list! (keep in mind this does not include the books circulating among my family - i have at least four more waiting after this. at least.)

What You See in the Dark
i ordered this book because it is a thriller set against the making of Psycho, which intrigued me. the writing style was unique and i loved it, as did my dad.
Liars and Saints
i think amazon recommended this one based on other books i was looking at. a beautifully written and captivating story about the dynamics of family.
City Boy
one of my good friends is a big fan of Jean Thompson, so i thought i'd read something by her. this one is next on my list.
American Rose: A Nation Laid Bare: The Life and Times of Gypsy Rose Lee
i read about this in a magazine and i just had to find it. it's the true story of a burlesque dancer during the great depression. a friend borrowed it from me already and she absolutely loved it.
The Unknown Errors of Our Lives
my mom bought this for me at the border book festival back in April and i just haven't gotten to it yet. it's a short story collection and from the title alone it looks intriguing.
Tender at the Bone
a food memoir by Ruth Reichl. 'nough said.
What Was the Hipster?
this book was put out by n+1, a thrice-yearly print journal that i subscribe to.
On the Road
an autobiographical novel by Jack Kerouac, one of the fathers of the beat movement.
Self-Help
another book of short stories, recommended, again, by amazon.



"a room without books is like a body without a soul."
                                                                    -Cicero

1 comment:

  1. I was just saying how much I need a book to read! This is perfect! Nice timing too. :)

    ReplyDelete