20 May 2012

Smoothies

I don't always make the wisest choices when it comes to food - something I'm trying to change! I do, however, manage to eat a healthy breakfast almost every day. It's later in the day when I break down and reach for the unhealthy snacks or second helpings that I don't really need. One of my go-to breakfast items is a smoothie. Especially during the week when I'm running short on time.

Smoothies are great. They're tasty, quick and easy to make, and can be consumed on the run. There are many benefits to starting your day with a homemade smoothie - it saves you time and money, ensures that you are hydrated at the beginning of your day, provides you with vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants and fiber, and helps boost your immune system.

Here are two of my favorite smoothie concoctions, as well as one basic recipe, to get you inspired.

Just throw all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth!

Coconut Blueberry Smoothie
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 banana, sliced
1/2 cup lowfat plain greek yogurt
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/4 cup almonds

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
1 1/2 bananas, sliced
About 8 ice cubes
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
(I think coconut would be delicious in this smoothie as well, but I have yet to try it)

Basic Smoothie Recipe
1/4 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup liquid (milk, juice, etc.)
1 cup frozen fruit (use all one type or mix berries, peaches etc. have fun trying different combinations!)
handful of almonds or rolled oats (something to provide fiber and keep you full longer)
handful of spinach (it sounds weird, but I promise you can hardly taste it!)
If you're using plain yogurt, add a drizzle of honey, agave nectar or vanilla extract to get a bit of sweetness.

The possibilities for smoothies are pretty much endless. Just remember, a smoothie is only as healthy as the ingredients going in it, so use unsweetened fruit and 100% juices.

Here are some more smoothie recipes I've gathered from the internet to give you a small taste of how many different possibilities there are.






No comments:

Post a Comment