18 February 2011

be here now

my roommate and i have been talking a lot about the Buddhist concept of mindfulness. basically, being mindful is living fully in the moment you are in. this is so much harder than it sounds.
i am always thinking of other things. i think about homework that i need to do, or what i want to do that night, or how i really need a haircut, or what i should write about in my next blog. i have such a hard time focusing on one thing at a time.
i've been trying to practice mindfulness while doing simple things, like walking in between classes. even that is really hard. i try to focus on the steps i'm taking, how the pavement feels under my feet. i have yet to make it from one class to the next without my mind wandering. but i'm trying, and that's a step, right?
we've also been talking about meditating, which i think would be really beneficial for me as a way to relax and perhaps even sleep better. i haven't actually tried it yet, but it's on my to-do list c:

No comments:

Post a Comment